About the Role
You’re excited to work at an organization that functions as a single, cohesive team pursuing large-scale AI research projects. You’re working to align state-of-the-art models with human values and preferences, understand and interpret deep neural networks, or develop new models to support these areas of research. You view research and engineering as two sides of the same coin, and seek to understand all aspects of our research program as well as possible, to maximize the impact of your insights. You have ambitious goals for AI safety and general progress in the next few years, and you’re working to create the best outcomes over the long-term.
You might be a good fit if:
(Required) At least 1 research project related to machine learning in which you played a major role
You can clearly articulate and discuss the motivations behind your work, and teach us about what you've learned.
You like writing up and communicating your results, even when they're null.
You like working on a team and making collaborative, data-driven research decisions.
You believe that a great way to discover a new, big-picture vision is to first get involved in the details.
You have experience doing quantitative science in another field.
How we're different:
We believe that the highest-impact AI research will be big science. At Anthropic we work as a single cohesive team on just a few large-scale research efforts. And we value impact — advancing our long-term goals of steerable, trustworthy AI — rather than work on smaller and more specific puzzles.
We view AI research as an empirical science, which has as much in common with physics and biology as with traditional efforts in computer science. We're most excited to hire researchers from diverse backgrounds who share this perspective.
We're an extremely collaborative group, and we host frequent research discussions to ensure that we are pursuing the highest-impact work at any given time. As such, we greatly value communication skills.
We're trying to build a core of knowledge and intuition about the most robustly effective innovations in AI, and so thoroughly-documented null results are almost as valuable as positive discoveries.
We do not have boundaries between engineering and research, and we expect all of our technical staff to contribute to both as needed.
Compensation and Benefits*
Anthropic’s compensation package consists of three elements: salary, equity, and benefits. We are committed to pay fairness and aim for these three elements collectively to be highly competitive with market rates.
Salary - The expected salary range for this position is $250k - $445k.
Equity - Equity will be a major component of the total compensation for this position. We aim to offer higher-than-average equity compensation for a company of our size, and communicate equity amounts at the time of offer issuance.
Benefits - Benefits we offer include:
- Optional equity donation matching at a 3:1 ratio, up to 50% of your equity grant.
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance for you and all your dependents.
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching.
- 21 weeks of paid parental leave.
- Unlimited PTO – most staff take between 4-6 weeks each year, sometimes more!
- Stipends for education, home office improvements, commuting, and wellness.
- Fertility benefits via Carrot.
- Daily lunches and snacks in our office.
- Relocation support for those moving to the Bay Area.
* This compensation and benefits information is based on Anthropic’s good faith estimate for this position, in San Francisco, CA, as of the date of publication and may be modified in the future. The level of pay within the range will depend on a variety of job-related factors, including where you place on our internal performance ladders, which is based on factors including past work experience, relevant education, and performance on our interviews or in a work trial.